Saturday, March 2, 2013

Annie's Surgery

Yesterday Anniston had to have her adenoids taken out.  I'm really glad we did this because I feel like she will be so much better from here on out.  Her poor little nose has been runny and snotty for over 2 weeks!  We've had a couple more ear infections as well and one of her tubes was clogged.  Poor baby!

As soon as we decided this is what we were going to do, I wanted to schedule the surgery as soon as possible.  Unfortunately, what worked well for mine and Anniston's schedule wasn't the best for Brandon's.  He was able to go with us to the hospital and stay until she went back for surgery, but then he had to be off for a short overnight business trip.  The only reason I had went ahead and scheduled the surgery for a day when Brandon would be out of town is because my sister was off yesterday as well.  She was a MAJOR help.  She came up to the hospital to meet us and stayed with us all day long.  She's such a good aunt:)

Here is Annie before the surgery.  She's always trying to get in someones purse or makeup bag.  Apparently there is always good stuff in there.  Allie's purse was the culprit this time.  

We took Annie's favorite stuffed animal "Pinky" with us.  They even let her take it back with her!

She was NOT happy after she woke up from the anesthesia.  I was expecting that even though it doesn't make it easier.  She was having a fit!  She was crying and thrashing around in my arms like she couldn't get comfortable.  Of course, the anesthesia hadn't completely worn off and she was confused and sleepy and dizzy.  Allie and I actually had to take turns trying to hold and comfort her because she was throwing her arms and legs about so much it was hard to hang onto her.  She was making gagging noises too- which prompted Allie to comment on her dramatics.  Like mother, like daughter she said.  That comment earned her the stink eye:)

Annie cried and cried- we tried everything but she would just not calm down.  Until the nurse came in with a Popsicle.  Her first one ever and she LOVED it.

I'm sure it felt good on her throat.  She put that thing away in, like, 40 seconds flat!  And then cried for another one.  And then one more.

For example:

Once we made it home she seemed to be doing much better.  I gave her a dose of pain medicine to calm her down and relax her in addition to helping with her sore throat.  She started acting really funny and loopy and was being a hoot!  It made me feel so much better to see her smiling.  She did really good the rest of the day.  She was a little clingy towards me and Allie- we didn't mind though:) We had fun playing and reading and watching "Mickey Mouse Clubhouse"- her new favorite show by the way.  The main reason is because of the songs and dances they do at the beginning and end of the show. She loves it and totally gets down.

I had to go back to work today but thankfully my mom and grandmother came to keep her for the day so I wouldn't have to use any time off.  She is doing so much better than I expected and I'm looking forward to some fun days this spring and summer WITHOUT runny noses and ear infections!!!!  Bring on the warm weather!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips