Sunday, December 1, 2013

'Tis the Season



We are already in the Christmas spirit over here in the Medling household.  Last year, Anniston didn't really understand the whole "Santa" thing so it's been a lot of fun telling her about him this year and asking her what she wants him to bring her. 

So far, she hasn't been scared of the mention of Santa.  She loves to climb up in my lap and look at pictures of Santa from the internet on my phone.  I explained how he comes down the chimney and brings toys and presents to all the children in the world.  Now she will point to the fireplace and say "Santa!  Chimney! Ho ho ho!"  We sat and talked about what Santa was going to bring everyone.  When I asked her what she wanted she replied "A lion.  And an elephant."  Ok then.  I suggested maybe a doll but she didn't really look too thrilled about it.  I've asked her a couple more times thinking it would probably change, but no, she's sticking to the lion and elephant.  Ok then.  May have to rethink her Christmas list...

When I asked her what Allie wants from Santa, she says, "A camera."  And Poppy- a guitar.  We asked Daddy what he wanted from Santa and he told Anniston that he wanted a refrigerator for his upstairs office.  I videoed her the other day and asked her all these things- her telling me that Daddy wants a refrigerator is just too funny!  And she still wants a lion and an elephant.  As of recently (as in last night) she did add that she wanted some shoes in addition to the lion and elephant.  That I can definitely do, kiddo.

So far, Frosty the Snowman is her favorite Christmas show- a close runner up is the Grinch, though.  She loves to sing Frosty and Santa Clause is Coming to Town.  She also loves reindeer and singing Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer.  Christmas is going to be so fun with a 2 year old in the house!

I started Anniston's advent calendar today.  I really didn't want to spend a ton of money on one this year, so I cheaped out and bought this one for $9.99 at Home Goods. 


It's a little too country looking for my taste, but maybe if we get really into it this year I might buy one on sale after Christmas for next year.

I gathered up ideas from Pinterest on fun activities to do and sat down and planned out the month based on our schedules.  For instance, on the days I work late, I might have a small gift for her (like a coloring book, a piece of candy, festive stickers, etc) or have us read a Christmas book.  I have a couple of Christmas books all wrapped up, so when she pulls a card out that says, "read a Christmas book" she gets to pick one out and unwrap it.  On the other days, when I have more time off, I have some really fun activities planned.  We are going to bake Christmas cookies, make reindeer food, ride around to look at Christmas lights, write a letter to Santa, and go see the lights at Shelby Farms.  I also have several little simple crafts for us to do.  I bought a foam ornament kit and a little Christmas tree kit at Hobby Lobby so that she can decorate them herself.  I'm really excited about this and I hope she likes it too. 

Since we are pretty much done decorating, I thought I'd share a couple of pictures of my Christmas décor around the house!

 My Christmas "Forrest" in the den
 
 
 
the den
 
 



the mantle


sofa table behind the couch
 



 


front living room
 

 And lastly- our outside lights!  This pic was the best I could get- probably because I took it with my iphone because I was too lazy to break out the real camera:)

 
 
We are ready- bring on the holidays!
 



 







No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips